08 Are the degrees offered the Calwest University recognized as an accredited university degree?

Please see Authorizations


Exempt Institution

Calwest University is an exempt institution pursuant to Section 94874 (b) of the California Education Code; Title 5, as it is an institution offering educational programs sponsored by a bona fide professional organization, solely for that organization's membership; and Section 94874 (d) (2) (c) as an institution offering continuing education if the institution or the program is approved, certified, or sponsored by a bona fide professional organization.

Please note, however, that a majority of courses will be undertaken at accredited World-class universities that have contributed to the MOOC philosophies.


Authorization Processes in the USA

  • Calwest University is registered in the State of California, as a Corporation.
  • The ability for a Corporation to grant Legal degrees is governed by the California Private Postsecondary Education Act of 2009 (also called the California Education Code) in the State of California.
  • The code is implemented by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) from which one has to obtain a License to grant degrees. Calwest has submitted a license application to BPPE in December 2014, but this takes over 2-years to be reviewed by BPPE.
  • Until such time as the License application is reviewed by BPPE, Calwest can operate as an exempt (legal degree granting) institution under Section 94874 (b) and Section 94874 (d) (2) (c) of the California Education Code to offer educational programs sponsored by a bona fide professional organization, solely for that organization's membership.
  • As the Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) is a bona fide professional organization, and the degrees are offered ONLY to its members, it is classified as an “Exempt Institution”; i.e. it is exempt from requiring a license.
  • However, despite having an exemption if it offers degrees ONLY to ICMA members; Calwest desires to offer degrees to a wider audience; and hence it is still pursuing obtaining a License from BPPE.
  • Once such a License is obtained, as Calwest cannot be both a ‘Licensed’ entity and an ‘Exempt” entity; it will give up its exempt status. This is anyway Calwest’s desire, as it wants to offer degrees in Science, Humanities and IT to a wider audience than just ICMA members (who are mainly interested in only Business Degrees).
  • Accreditation’ is the next step after the License. This is a very USA centric concept. Many overseas students do not understand that ‘Accreditation’ is not given by the USA Government, but by Private Regional Accreditation bodies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Being “accredited” in the USA means that a university’s students can have their studies recognized for credit by other universities in the USA; and get certain Federal jobs and Federal loans to undertake their studies. Many universities in the USA do not seek “Accreditation”. However, Calwest WILL SEEK “Accreditation’ after it gets its License, even though it expects that most of its students will be drawn from Asia and Africa where USA accreditation is not a requirement for jobs, etc.
  • To get “Accreditation’, a university must operate for at least 2-years, have at least 200 students. This accreditation process will take another 18 to 24 months, however, so this is a long-drawn out process.


Student Login