Credit for Prior Learning and Credit Transfers

Transfer of Credit to the University

Credits may be transferred to Calwest from any USA accredited university; or an international university registered with the appropriate government authorities in that country. For graduate studies, a maximum of 8 courses in the program can be given credit for prior studies. For doctoral studies, no more than 33 graduate semester credits or its equivalent awarded by another institution may be credited toward a doctoral degree. Calwest university policy is that these credits can be only in the coursework units (11 courses) of the doctoral degree program. When congruent and applicable to Calwest’s programs, credits can be obtained by demonstrating Recognized Prior Learning (RPL) credits earned at and transferred from other postsecondary institutions (including courses from accredited institutions where the assessment has been proctored). Students who have undertaken similar units elsewhere can pass the course within Calwest by successfully completing Calwest’s challenge examinations.

Calwest programs are not open to Ability-to-Benefit students; and the university will not grant any credit to a student for prior experiential learning.

The student must provide notarized/certified copies of all documents evidencing his/her prior learning upon which Calwest will base the award of any credit or credential. [Note that there will be a US$200 fee per course for credit recognition and a US$ 800 fee for administering challenge assessments]. All academic transcripts, and documents upon which credit is granted, shall be maintained, kept current, and retained permanently for each student in an electronic format.

Notice Concerning Transferability of Credits and Credentials Earned at Calwest

Calwest University has not entered into an articulation or transfer agreement with any other college or university in the USA.

The transferability of credits you earn at Calwest University is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree you earn in any Calwest educational program is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits or degree that you earn at Calwest are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all of your coursework at that institution. For this reason, you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending Calwest University to determine if your credits or degree will transfer.